With the Covid-19 pandemic sweeping the world, people are stock-piling on essentials such as toilet paper and tinned foods. If you are able to find hand sanitizer on the shelves you are one of the lucky few.
But have no fear… We are here to help. We have compiled a recipe for you to make hand sanitizer at home. The recipe is simple and the ingredients are easily accessible.
What you need:
- 1 tbs Glycerine / aloe vera gel (this helps your hands stay soft)
- 2/3 cups isopropyl alcohol (60% – 99%)
- 10 drops essential oils (essential oils naturally have anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties) – optional
- Boiled water
- Add glycerine, alcohol and essential oils to your bottle. Close the lid and give it a good shake for about 20 seconds.
- Open your bottle and fill it to the top with water. Give it another shake and your hand sanitizer is ready for action.
Essential oil disclaimer
Although essential oils are completely natural, they are powerful plant compounds and your family and pets can have a reaction. Always dilute your essential oils with a carrier when using them and do not ingest them. If you are pregnant, we do not recommend that you use essential oils especially during the first trimester. Do not use essential oils (diluted and undiluted on babies, children and your pets. Stop using essential oils immediately and contact a medical professional if you see any form of reaction from the oils.
Corona Virus disclaimer
Hand sanitizer is not a substitute for proper hand washing. Hand washing procedures include washing your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds. They say that if you sing “Twinkle, twinkle little star” twice, it equals 20 seconds. Singing that is more fun than counting to 20.
If you are looking at dispensing hand sanitizer ingredients and hand sanitizer itself from drums into smaller containers, we can recommend Pronova’s Ezi-action hand pumps. They are a dream to work with! They reduce turnaround time massively and product loss.