Himalayan pink salt is said to be some of the purest salt in the world as it has been covered by ice, rock and lava for centuries allowing it to be unpolluted by modern man. It is now hand mined from the Himalayan Mountains in Pakistan so that it could be brought to the world in all its glory.
Not only is this salt absolutely magnificent because it has a rich pink hue, but because it also has a menagerie of health benefits and uses.
Himalayan salt is made up of over 84 different trace minerals and elements. Roughly 85% is made up of sodium chloride while the additional 15% is made up of other minerals including potassium, magnesium, calcium and bromine to name a few. Due to its unique mineral composition Himalayan salt is said to:
- Improve hydration
- Reduce and relieve cramps
- Balance electrolytes in the body
- Balance PH levels in the body
- Lower blood pressure
- Increase libido
- Detoxify the body
- Help the body absorb nutrients
- Improve circulation
- Aid in metabolic functioning
Himalayan salt can be added directly to your food or can be purchased as a cooking block which is heated on the stove, in the oven or on the braai and then used almost as a frying pan to cook your meat and vegetables. This adds a unique and delicious taste to your food while giving your body all the nutrients and minerals it needs as it permeates into your food.
Salt Caves otherwise known as Halo Therapy
Many spas have started to create rooms/ caves made out of pink salt as it is believed that sitting allows one to inhale microscopic particles of salt which is said to open the airways, loosen mucus build up and reduce inflammation. Halo therapy is said to treat respiratory and skin disorders such as:
- Sleep Apnea
- And many more
You can also buy mini salt inhalers that have a similar effect to sitting in a room made of Himalayan salt.
Sole is water saturated with Himalayan Salt.
It is said that drinking Himalayan Salt Sole has a magnitude of health benefits such as balancing hormones, decreasing blood pressure, improving sleep and preventing muscle cramps. It is also said to detoxify your body and balance its PH levels. It is believed that you should drink a tea spoon of this mixture in 250mls of water every day in order to reap the benefits.
How to make Sole:
- Fill a glass jar a one quarter of the way with Himalayan pink salt and fill the rest of the jar with filtered water.
- Give it a good shake and leave it to rest overnight.
- If there is still some salt left at the bottom of the jar, your water is fully saturated and is ready. If the salt is fully dissolved, just add some more salt until it no longer dissolves and Voila! It’s ready!!!
Don’t drink it straight out the jar. Take a tea spoon and mix it in a glass of room temperature water.
A neti pot allows you to rinse your nasal cavities and flush out mucus. Because pink salt is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, it helps reduce the risk of infection. It is also said to reduce inflammation and open up the nasal cavities. Some additional benefits benefits of a neti pot include:
- Relieving allergy symptoms
- Reduce dryness inside the nose
- Reduce snoring
- Increase breathing
- Prevent cold and other upper respiratory illnesses
- Reduce the need for pharmaceutical medications
- Improve your sense of smell and taste
- Ease sinus headaches
This is by far my most favourite use for Himalayan salt.
- Add a cupful of Himalayan pink salt to your bath. (you can also add a few drops of your favourite essential oils) Some people also like to add a handful of Epsom salts and these have their own menagerie of health benefits.
- Allow the salt to dissolve. Maybe in the mean time you want to lights some candles and pour yourself a glass of wine or Kombucha
- Climb into the bath and relax.
- Soak in the bath for 30+ minutes.
- When you are ready to get out the bath, stay in the bath and pull out the plug. Sit in the bath till all the water runs out. You will feel all your stress wash away down the drain.
Himalayan salt lamps are said to have a wide array of health benefits as well as being stunning to look at. Some of these benefits include:
- Purify and deodorise the air
- Reduce allergy and asthma symptoms
- Reduces Electromagnetic Radiation
- Increased energy levels
- Improved Sleep
The benefits of this magical salt are endless. There is constantly research being done to help prove all these benefits. Personally, I feel the benefits of this magical crystal every day and can vouch for it! Here at Colour Tribe we want to brighten up your day and believe that these salts in every shape and form will definitely do that.